Monday, July 4th, 2016 is Independence Day. A day we celebrate America’s liberation from Great Britain with fireworks, pool parties and barbeques.
It is no secret that parties often include drinking, which can sometimes lead to bad decision making. Some of these decisions may be harmless, but others can be fatal. Drinking can lead to drunk driving and July 4th is notoriously one of the deadliest days of the year on our roads.
However, this July 4th, you can still have plenty of fun without alcohol. Below is a list of things to do in Columbia and Lexington over the holiday weekend. Be safe and enjoy!
- Fireflies Baseball, Columbia – Monday, July 4th – Fireflies vs. Charleston River Dogs (military with valid ID will receive $2 off All-Star or Reserved seating) – Fireworks after the game (tickets can be purchased for fireworks only if you do not wish to attend the game) More Information and Tickets
- Blowfish Baseball, Lexington – Friday, July 1st – USC Alumni vs. Blowfish – Fireworks after – There will also be Independence Day Fireworks after Blowfish games Saturday July 2nd – Monday July 4th More Information and Tickets
- Lake Murray, Lexington – Saturday, July 2nd – Boat parade then evening fireworks launched from Spence Island and Dreher Island State Park to choreographed music airing on local radio More Information
- Blowfish and Fireflies Baseball Games, Lexington and Columbia – Information above
Festivals/ Special Events
- 2016 Lexington Peach Festival, Lexington – Monday, July 4, 2016 – More Information
- Summer Movie Series in the Park, Columbia – Finlay Park – Friday, July 1st at 7:30 p.m. – Free- Showing the Movie “Minions”
- Star Spangled Day, EdVenture Children’s Museum, Columbia – Saturday, July 2nd – 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. – More Information
- Saturday Family Storytime, Lexington – Lexington County Public Library Main- Saturday July 2nd at 11:00 a.m. – For children ages birth to 10 years old – More information call 803.785.2630
- Daufuskie Memories, Columbia Museum of Art, Columbia – Saturday July 2nd through Thursday, July 7th – Tuesday to Friday 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. (open until 8 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month); Saturday 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.; Sunday noon to 5 p.m. – More Information and Tickets
- Military Appreciation Day, EdVenture Children’s Museum, Columbia – Monday, July 1st at 9:00 a.m. – Present an active and valid military ID card or badge and receive free admission for you and your dependents 12 and under. – 803.400.1156 for more information
- 246 Army Band – Friday, July 1st at 6:30 p.m. Center Stage at Village At Sandhills
- “Beach Party” – 4 p.m. Finlay Park – The Episodes – Beach/Motown
- Green Day’s American Idiot – Trustus Theatre – 8:00 p.m. – Friday, July 1st & Saturday July 2nd – “A critical smash on Broadway in London, the two- time Tony Award-winning hit musical ‘American Idiot’ tells the story of three lifelong friends, forced to choose between their dreams and the safety of suburbia. More Information and Tickets