Happy Halloween! There are many fall celebrations going on tonight that include candy, costumes and parties. Enjoy celebrating, but always remember to stay safe and smart. Here are a few tips for staying safe this Halloween:
For youth 21 and under:
- Review and obey local laws. Be aware of laws regarding private property, curfews, and as always no alcohol, tobacco or other drugs for underage youth.
- Recruit your teen or offer to help your parents with handing out treats.
- Watch a scary movie marathon.
- If you do go trick-or-treating or to a sober Halloween party, try to wear light colored or reflective clothing while walking on the street.
- Be mindful of driver safety. There will be a lot of kids on the roads.
- Limit the number of friends in a car. Do not go over the legal limit of passengers.
For 21 +:
- Never accept alcohol handouts. Halloween costume parties can provide an ideal atmosphere for perpetrators to target their victims. To avoid being perceived as rude, take the beverage and privately throw it away.
- If you go to a party go with a group and leave with the same group.
- Never walk by yourself after dark.
- Avoid costumes that make you unrecognizable.
- If you feel uncomfortable, get out.
- Make sure your phone is fully charged or you have an exit plan.
For more safety tips visit: